What is a Micro-Credential?
Micro-credentials at Lambton College are individualized, competency-based, training programs that allow students to:
- Receive credit for skills you already have.
- Rapidly acquire competencies needed to advance in your career.
- Master competencies in a self-paced, flexible learning environment that values experience and provides accelerated training of focused skills.
How Does it Work?
The idea of a micro-credential is a new kind of learning and as such, it comes with a new set of terms.
For all students, it's easy to understand the idea of a college program that is made up of a number of college courses. But micro-credential pathways can be broken down into even smaller learning units.
- Micro-Credential Learning Units
Upon completing and individual learning unit, a digital badge will be awarded that describes the competency it covers.
Students are eligible to receive a micro-certificate that focuses on a specific competency area. Micro-certificates are awarded when a specified grouping of learning units are successfully completed.
- Ontario College Certificate
In some instances, students who successfully complete all of the learning units within a micro-credential pathway, may be eligible to apply to graduate from an Ontario College Certificate program. Not all micro-credential pathways lead to a full Ontario College Certificate. In order to be eligible for the Ontario College Certificate, students must also meet the admission requirements.