The Accessibility Team is here to help in a variety of ways:
- We can facilitate appointments by confidential email, phone, video conferencing, and in-person
- We offer counselling, accommodation planning, learning strategies, assistive technology instruction, accessibility supports, and advocacy for students
- We are here to discuss any academic challenges or accessiblity questions
- We can help you develop and individual success plan with services that address your specific accommodation and learning needs
- Schedule an appointment with a counsellor or advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can Access Services
The Accessibility Centre provides academic accommodation and supports to students with permanent or temporary disabilities.
Interim accommodations may also be available to students who are in the process of being assessed for a disability.
What is a Disability?
A disability is defined by the Human Rights Code and may include but is not limited to the following:
- Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Blind and Low Vision
- Deaf, Deafened, and Hard of Hearing
- Learning Disabilities
- Medical Disabilities
- Mental Health Disabilities
- Acquired Brain Injury
- Mobility Impairments
Some of the above conditions quality for temporary accommodations. Please contact us for details.
Accommodation Differences between High School & College
Elementary & High Schools
- Guided by Education Act and Bill 82
- Accommodations are made based on IPRC, IEP, and Transition Plans
Colleges & Universities
- Guided by AODA, Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms, and the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Accommodations are made for what is a documented disability
- Accommodations must be made unless an essential element is involved for the accommodation fundamentally alters the course or program
All information and documentation shared with the staff in the Accessibility Centre regarding a student's disability remains confidential. Exception may occur if require by law.
Staff ensure confidentiality by:
- Not sharing documentation with other college departments
- Shredding documentation after 10 years if not picked up by the individual student
Office Hours (Sept - Apr)
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
If visiting between May and August, it is best to book an appointment ahead of time.