3000-3-5 Memorial Recognition of the Death of a College Employee
Responsible Executive Senior Vice-President, Strategy & Corporate Services
Policy Sponsor Director, Human Resources
Issue Date November 17, 2005
Supersedes Date October 19, 2006
Last Review December 12, 2019
Last Revision December 12, 2019
Upon request, the college will provide a copy of this policy in an alternate format.
To provide expressions of sympathy on behalf of the College in the event of death of a College employee.
- The death of an employee will be officially recognized by Lambton College.
- This policy applies to all full-time and part-time employees.
- Flag(s) will be lowered from the date of announcement of the death of an employee until the funeral or memorial service is held, unless this is a lengthy period (greater than three days), in which case the flag(s) will be lowered on date of announcement and again on date of funeral or memorial service.
- With permission from the family, notice will be sent to all staff from the department of People & Organizational Development, including details of visitation, funeral date and time, where cares can be sent, etc.
- If a memorial bursary is requested to be established, two‐part cards will be printed (one part to go to the family and one part to accompany the donor cheque). These cards will be placed at the Funeral Home and will be available internally.
- A floral tribute will be sent by the department of People & Organizational Development from the College to the funeral home, or home of the next of kin.
- No other memorials will be erected unless approved in writing by the President of Lambton College.
For questions or concerns regarding this policy, please contact the Policy Sponsor by phoning our main line 519-542-7751.