Better Jobs Ontario
Better Jobs Ontario is a grant program that provides laid-off, unemployed individuals with skills training to help them find employment in high-demand occupations. The program provides qualified applicants with up to $28,000 for eligible costs, including, tuition, books, manuals, workbooks or institutional costs, transportation, basic living allowances, and childcare.
Who can Qualify
You may qualify for Better Jobs Ontario funding if you:
- Were laid off and are not working
- Were laid off and are working a temporary job to cover costs
- Haven't been laid off, but have been unemployed for six months or longer and are part of a low-income household
Better Jobs Ontario is typically open to unemployed job seekers, but there is a fast-track stream available to individuals who were laid off during the pandemic who want to retrain for jobs in sectors that have potential for future employment.
The new fast-track approval process prioritizes individuals who:
- Apply to a program that can be completed within 52 weeks or less;
- Apply to a program for in-demand occupations locally or occupations in priority areas such as: advanced manufacturing, life sciences, information and communications technology, and supportive health services; and
- Have been laid off from industries that were affected the most during the pandemic - examples include, hospitality, food services, transportation, warehousing, wholesale, and retail.
Complete a Funding Application
Visit any of the following agencies to begin your funding application:
Community Employment Services
4248 Oil Heritage Road
Who to Contact
In preparation for your funding application, you may need more information about Lambton College. The following departments can help: